As a book blogger I tend to get my posts out there whenever I can, regardless of the day of the week or hour on the clock. But now that I’m working, I have to be more organized and that got me thinking about when the best times would be to blog and then push my posts through social media.
Although I blog about books because it’s lots of fun, I definitely want people to read and interact with what I have to say! Comments are one of the best parts of blogging. They are like getting gold stickers on a test paper. I love receiving them and getting to know other bloggers.
Here are the results of my mini research project about the best days and times to do blog-related activities:
First, some general guidelines to increase your traffic:
- Be consistent to develop an audience.
- Get the most out of your tweets and other links. Many people discover blog content through social media. So the timing of your blog post isn’t quite as important as when you send out links to your posts. Not surprisingly, many people who work surf through social media during lunch and on breaks, so schedule your tweets and other social media during those times.
- Consider the “evergreen” concept – posting material that can be enjoyed year round. These posts are not time sensitive or topical. It’s like building an inventory.
- Post as often as possible but always provide high quality content. Resist the urge to post anything less than that.
- Pay attention to your own stats – they will tell you specifics about when your posts are being read.
WordPress Insights can give you some of this information. Here’s what it says about Book Club Mom’s best day and time:
Here are some of the best times and days to get out there on social media. But remember, your blog might be dependent on specific factors. Your audience might tune into you after work, for example, or on weekends. (All times are Eastern Standard Time.)
FACEBOOK – People use Facebook at work, home, on mobile and desktop (no surprises there!), but specifically, these are the best times:
12-1 pm on Saturdays and Sundays
3-4 pm on Wednesdays
1-4 pm on Thursdays and Fridays
The worst times to post on Facebook are weekends before 8 am and after 8 pm.
TWITTER – used at work and home, usually during downtimes like commutes and breaks.
12-3 pm Monday – Friday
5-6 pm Wednesdays
Best day – Wednesday
LinkedIn – professionals use it during working hours.
On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays:
The worst time to post on LinkedIn is between 10 pm and 6 am.
PINTEREST – mostly female users in the evenings
2-4 am and evening hours every day (yes, that’s 2-4 am!)
5 pm on Fridays
8-11 pm on Saturdays
INSTAGRAM – used on mobiles all the time, but the best times are:
Any time Mon-Thurs, except between 3-4 pm
Videos are best to post between 9 pm and 8 am
I’m not sure I can line everything up, but it is definitely interesting to think about. There is a lot of great information about blogging and timing your social media. Check out these interesting and helpful posts:
HubSpot.com “The Best Times to Post on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn & Other Social Media Sites”
Torquemag.io “Strategic blogging: the best time to publish and share content”
blogpress.com “Is There a Best Time or Day to Post My Blog?”
Do you have a blogging schedule? Do you pay attention to the day and time? How active are you on other social media sites and do you schedule your pushes? I like to read blogs in the evening or while I eat breakfast. I catch up on a lot of them on weekends. How about you?
Thanks for visiting – come back soon!