As I turn the corner and aim toward four years of blogging, I’m feeling pretty good. As the saying goes, you’re only as old as you feel, right? There are lots of statistics on human life expectancy, but not as many on blog life expectancy. A little research, however, revealed some shocking results:
The average blog lasts about 100 days.
Yes, that’s what Business 2 Community and Patrick’s Place report. While these articles focus more on money-making blogs (What are those? Someone tell me, please!), the reasons apply to all forms of blogging. Here is why bloggers tap out after only a few months:
- Failure to find a niche – survive by creating unique content, something readers can’t find anywhere else. What are you an expert at?
- Failure to branch out – once you find your niche, think of ways your content can attract a broader readership. For example, if you write movie reviews, think about what people who like movies also enjoy and add posts that complement your reviews.
- Too much marketing – no one likes a hard sell, especially people who read blogs. Make sure your content doesn’t drip with sales pushes.
- Failure to build a social media following – linking to Facebook and Twitter isn’t enough. Interact with other bloggers. Ask to share your posts on popular blogs (I’ve never done that, but I have “traded” posts). Join Facebook groups and share your posts that way. (I do this regularly, but check the group rules – some groups don’t allow sharing).
- Not trying new things – be innovative. Vary your content. See what works and abandon what doesn’t.
I was shocked to read the 100-day statistic. I know a lot of people in my blogging community have been around a lot longer than 100 days. I guess that makes us really old!
I’ve fallen into a few of these traps. It’s hard to think of ways to branch out with content and through social media. I’ve had some success on Facebook groups, but it’s tricky finding the right groups. I’ve been permanently banned from a Redditt group because I didn’t understand the rules and I don’t think I have the time to expand to Instagram and other platforms.
How long have you been blogging? Are you running out of steam? What strategies do you use to keep your content fresh?
Thanks for visiting – come back soon!